quarta-feira, março 10, 2004

Excerto de Saramago in Ensaio sobre a Cegueira (em inglês - porque não?!)



(...) "Let's return to hopes, All right, The other example of hope which I refused to give was this, What, The self-accusation on my list, Please, explain yourself, I never understand riddles, The monstruous wish of never regaining our sight, Why, So that we can go on living as we are, Do you mean all together, or just you and me, Don't make me answer, If you were only a man you could avoid answering, like all others, but you yourself said that you are an old man, and old men, if longevity has any sense at all, should not avert their face from the truth, answer me, With you, And why (...) Because the man I still am loves the woman you are, (...) And now it's my turn, Don't say anything you might regret later, remember the black list, If I'm sincere today, what does it matter if I regret it tomorrow, Please stop, You want to live with me and I want to live with you, You are mad, (...) You would not have said it to me either if you had met me somewhere before, an elderly man, half bald with white hair, with a patch over one eye and a cataract in the other, The woman I was then wouldn't have said it, I agree, the person who said it was the woman I am today. Let's see then what the woman you will be tomorrow will have to say, (...)
They had this conversation facing each other, blind eyes staring into blind eyes, their faces flushed and impassioned and when, because one of them had said it and because both of them wanted it, they agreed that life had decided that they should live together." (...)


Fico agora na espectativa de ler o Ensaio sobre a Lucidez...

Sem comentários: